Sunday, June 1, 2008

No More Binkies!!!!!!!!

From a very early age, Savannah has always used a binky to fall asleep with. When she turned one, I limited her pacifier use to naps and bedtimes completely and she has never really had a problem with that, but she has been extremely attached to her binkies. Yes, that is plural because she has always had quite of few them in her bed. When she was a baby, I put five or six in her bed so that she could find one easily in the middle of the night so that I didn't have to go in so often to help her find it! Then we would lose some, so we'd get a couple more and then we'd find the ones that were lost and I think at one point she had almost a dozen of them! I always knew the day would come that she would have to give them up, but I was so hesitant to just take them away because they are really the only thing that she has ever been attached to. She has never had a blanket or toy or anything else that she has cared very much for, but when she goes to sleep she always has a binky in her mouth and at least one in each hand as well. She would play with them in her bed, talk to them, etc., so I really didn't want to just make her give up her "friends" just because I felt she was too old for them. Over the last several months I have slowly "lost" one at a time and so she has been down to only 4 binkies for about a month or so. She is normally very well-behaved but at times when she has been really naughty I have warned her that I would cut a hole in one of her binkies and so as of about three weeks ago, 3 of them had holes and so she only had one left that she could suck on. Yesterday she was being so naughty and would not get in the bathtub so I gave her a warning but she continued to throw a fit so we cut the last binky. She was hysterical for a few minutes but then seemed just fine with it. When I put her to bed last night she got a little sad when she looked at all 4 chopped off binkies, but didn't even cry and just went to bed. About 30 minutes later I could hear her saying, "Paris, I want one of your binkies" which was funny because Paris was sound asleep in a different room so she obviously couldn't hear her at all! I told Savannah that Paris needed all of her binkies still and that she needed to go to sleep and I never heard another peep. Tonight she went to bed without a word about the binkies.....we finally did it!!!!! I have been dreading (and looking forward to) this day for so long, and it has come and gone without hardly any trauma at all!

4 comments:

Laura said...

Little kids are so cute-and I love that Savannah was trying to get a binky from Paris-good job on getting rid of them though-I think the day when Max is finally binky free is a long way off!

Sarah said...

Yeah! It feels so good to get rid of that doesn't it?

New Mexican Youngs said...

Congratulations, Nellie! Big step! We just got Sage to stop sucking her thumb a few months ago. I think it's more traumatic for the parents than the kids. Hey, I'm trying to get in touch to convey some info about a get together we're planning, but I'm not sure if I have the right e-mail. What's the best way to get in touch? You can e-mail me. Thanks, Mo

Anonymous said...

just a waste of money let her suck daddyscock