Monday, June 7, 2010

Wonders never cease...

So I had a birthday a couple of weeks ago and it was wonderful. Those of you in summer sales programs know that having a birthday during the summer is hard because you just don't really have time to celebrate it very well...every year in the past I've been lucky to even see Bubba on my birthday because he's had to work. This year, Bubba made a huge effort to not have to work much on my birthday and he made me breakfast, watched the kids so I could go shopping with Kassie, and then Kassie babysat so that Bubba and I could go to dinner and a movie. This might sound very normal to many of you, but this NEVER happens during the summer for us so it was an absolutely wonderful birthday for me! Every other day this summer Bubba has been working/gone/on the phone from about 9 or 10 am until way past midnight....six days a week! Anyways, it was a miracle that he was able to take so much time out to make my birthday special and I really appreciate it - thanks babe!
For my birthday present Bubba got me an iPod touch and a new pair of Nikes that sync up with it so I can keep track of my running...yep, you heard that right...I have been running. Those of you who know me, know how I've kind of been a running hater forever. I love working out but have always stuck to an elliptical or spin classes and always have thought that I can't run and that I hate it. After I had Madison, I decided I wanted to actually give running a fair shot and I started up about 6 or 7 weeks ago. I'm not fast and I don't know that I'll ever like it enough to run a marathon or anything super far, but I have really been enjoying my early morning jogs and my goal is to do a 10K on Labor Day this year. This morning I went almost 3.5 miles without stopping and I felt pretty good...probably could have gone farther but don't want to overdo it or kill myself! I think the farthest I'd ever run before all of this was a mile back in elementary school...so yes, this is pretty much a miracle!

2 comments:

The Pruitts said...

Happy Birthday a couple of weeks ago Nellie! I'm feeling like a jerk right now because I didn't call you on your birthday...I seriously can't remember anything anymore. Glad you had a good one, and I'm glad you are joining the running world!! Ruby was pretty excited to talk to Savannah on the phone the other day, she asks about your kids all the time. We'll be glad when you guys get back. BTW Madison is an absolute doll, it is crazy how much they change the first few months!

The Kolste Family said...

Good Job! That is really good. You will for sure be ready by labor day if you are already running 3.5 miles! Glad you had a good birthday. I know it is hard during the summers!